|Time estimate to perform this tutorial||5-10 minutes|
|Definitions||Event: Same as course|
Group: A temporary connection of people
|Who can see content created in this tutorial||Course administators, teachers & examiners|
|Goal||Learn how to work with groups, to make teamwork and communication more efficient|
The students need to exist within the course before the group can be created. A student can belong to a variety of group, at the same time.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Create a group
- Send a message to a group
Create a group
The group functionality works like a tag. Mark your members in the group with a name, for now. Moving the member to another situation, the group tagg will not be updated, instead you need to remove the tagg and add a new one, more fit to the new situation.
Select course in which to create a group
- Select Course
- Select Course instance
View existing groups
A menu to the right, Groups offers a possibility to look at the existing groups.
- Click on the Show drop down menu to select a group.
A filtered list appears with participants in the selected group.
Add a student to a group
The group functionality can offer an easy way to select students. The tutorial describes how to add one student to a group but you can easily mark several students at the same time and add them all to the group.
- Mark a student (or several) in the list by marking the checkbox, in front of the name
The menu to the right, Selected students gives you a few options for the selected student.
- Click on Add to group to add the student to a group
A popup window appears. Now you have two options:
- Add the student to an existing group by selecting a group from the dropdown list.
- Or, add the student to a new group, by simply writing a new name in the Add to field
- Click the + sign
- Click Save
Send a message to a group
A useful functionality is to create an e-mail to all members in a group
- In Group section Show dropdown menu, select a group. Control the members in the group by using the list of students
- Click on Send Message
A popup window Send Message appears
- Write a Subject
- Write the Message
- Click at Send Message
If students are divided into several groups, these can be used for student evaluations.