The QPS software requires that courses/instances (kurs/kurstillfälle) are correctly set-up and that appropriate privileges are assigned to you. Please contact the person responsible for your course if the course/instance or menus referenced below are not visible, and no error messages appear.
|Time estimate to perform this tutorial||5 minutes|
In this tutorial you will write a question (Essay) and attach an image, add tags and rationale for correct answer. The example is based on an exam where you have been invited to write one or more questions.
|Definitions||Event: Same as course|
Tag: a type of label added to the question to make it easier to find or categorize information.
Essay question: an examination question that requires an answer in a sentence, paragraph, or short composition. A dedicated teacher needs to add correct points after the exam, following the rationale for the question.Rationale for correct answer: a text or link to why the correct answer is the only correct answer. Can refer to a scientific article, text book or be free text. Can also be used as feedback to students to encourage further reading.
|Who can see content created in this tutorial|
If the question is in draft mode, only you can see the questionIf the question is published, it is detectable for all the teachers in the course
|Goal||Create an essay question for an exam|
An examination needs to be created and you need to be assigned to write questions
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Select an exam to write questions for
Select an exam to write questions for
- Click on My exam activities (the left-hand menu)
- In the section Question writer, click on the exam assigned to you (where you arre supposed to write questions).
Write the question
- Click on Write question
- Select Free text (essay)
- Enter the task/question in the field Question
- Enter the notes for examiners in the field Notes for examiners. Notes for examiners will be presented, for the evaluators, when the essays are scored to support the marking process.
- Enter the total word count, if you want that limitation. Keep 0 for unlimited word count.
- To add a picture to the question, click on Upload & select an image to attach. (more info Add an image below)
- Tagg the question. click on Question Banking (more info Tag the question below)
- Click on Marking and feedback, to add rationale (more info Rationale below)
- Click on Save & select Publish changes
Add an image
If you would like to add one or several images to clarify things in the questions.
- Click on Upload(4) in the Attachment section, a browser window appears and you can select a picture
- Click on Open to add the picture to the question
Tag the question
You must tag the questions to learning outcomes. Adding other labels and tags is optional but can make it easier to group or find your questions. To tag your question:
- Click on Question banking (5)
- A popup window appears Question banking
- Check that the pre-selected course and assessment type are correct.
- Select one or several course outcomes that the question relates to.
- Select one Tag from the Societal Perspective category (not applicable can be selected)
- Add other Tags according to your programme policy (if available)
- Click on Save
Rationale is a set of reasons or a logical basis for score setting of the question. (Sample: How much information, divided into logical groups, with X numbers of words with correct information needed to reach Y score)
- Click on Marking and feedback (6), A popup window appears Marking and feedback
- Enter Points for correct answer, Possible to set Maximum score for this question(in the example 6 point as maximum, according to the Notes for examiners field in the question).
- Enter references to why the correct answer is the correct answer in the field Rationale for answer
- Click on Save changes
It is important that the points for correct answer is set in agreement with the Examiner (examinator), as this will be used to mark the exam during post-processing.
In the main Question window, click on Save (7)
Select Publish changes from the dropdown menu to save the question and make it available for the exam.
Did you know that get tips and tricks from the system, for example how to avoid to obvious options from the style guide system. Tags can be added to questions. Questions used in examinations can be analyzed for their performance. Essay questions will often need a rationale to support the teachers, while correcting an exam.